Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Things I love (and occasionally hate): Zotero

Zotero, my dearest friend. 

First off lets start with what Zotero is. Zotero is a multi-platform resource collection agent. Its function is to help individuals create a list of sources, such as bibliographies and work cited pages. These sources can be culled from almost any electronic format. Use a book in a paper, find it on Amazon, then click the install-able connector for your browser and Ta-Da! You now have a fully editable sourcing program that can be used in word editors. Your now thinking that sounds nice but what exactly does it do for me? Well, let me tell you a story...

I was surfing OSCAR and One search for some statics regarding polling turn out, exit polls etc for my Political Science class. As I find sources, I am constantly throwing them into my Zotero folder for later review and collection, aka a super book mark system. However I find something that I can use for another paper, say a piece on voting and religion I want to use for my Religion, Theology & Culture 3 class (core requirement). Boom! Throw that bad boy into my folder for RTC 3, and now I have source I would have never found or could have easily lost.

But that's not all. Now I am done with my both my papers, the RTC 3 class wants MLA formatting style while the Political Science class wants Blue Book style. Most people would go to either OWL Perdue (which is another great/amazing source) or the site affectionately known as Son of a Citation. However with Zotero, you simply highlight the sources and then right click "Create Bibliography", go thru the prompts of type and how to save, and then like a genie granting a wish its done, for either format. All sources are done, leaving only inline notes or sources left to be done.

So basically all of my gathering of sources for a paper has been reduced to a few clicks. Finding, organizing, and creating of sources has been automated, leaving me free to procrastinate, err focus on the content of my paper. Did I also mention that Zotero is free?





All rights reserved to brand names or anything else that is listed here, this is only for academic use and is covered under the Fair Use/Educational Clause, if you are an owner of one of these companies and prefer a more inclusive trademark statement please contact me and I will be happy to adjust as needed.




No comments:

Post a Comment